Hello Nancy,

Not to put words in Meena and Marie's mouths, but I think their comments
were more directed to people who may be considering planting new shrubs and
in that context, a gentle reminder that there may be better choices for
birds.  Some people on the list may not  alradhy know about the resources
they referenced.

You know, and so do we all, that your forsythia are doing a valuable
service for your birds.  We need to stop and think before we plant
something but also before we remove something.  The very old and healthy
apple tree my neighbors just cut down is obviously not native but the
craggy bark provided much good foraging for woodpeckers, the blooms
provided food for pollinators and nectar feeders but most importantly, it
was a safe staging area for birds coming to my feeder.  They also tore out
a whole row of hedge which had grown up like crazy over many years,mostly
privet and there was barberry in it, but it was also a protective nursery
for a black cherry, a crabapple and a red oak, all of who grew to a deer
safe size within this tangle. I managed to save the cherry and the
crabapple but got home just as they were tearing out the oak. The birds
loved this whole hedge right along the edge of my yard.  It was torn out
and nothing was put there to replace it. i planted a gray dogwood, a black
birch and those spicebush I mentioned, but how long will it be before they
provide any habitat at all for safety?

So enjoy your forsythia and your birds and your wonderful other 19 acres.
I am envious.

Best
Linda Orkin
Muriel Street, Ithaca, NY