Yesterday, I thought the surge of finches had disappered with the melting of
the snow cover.  The niger went virtually untouched.  Today, more than 75
redpolls are out to prove me wrong.  It is like an anthill out there.  There
may be well over 75 but it is difficult to count those in the nearby trees
and shrubbery.  I recall our previous max of 16 redpolls and a little envy
of those of you with hundreds.  Our 3 tube feeders are full and there are
dozens on the ground gobbling up the spilled seeds.

I remember a winter in 1961 or so when an irruption of redpolls made it to
Long Island.  Had to refer to Peterson for an ID.  There were no more than a
dozen or so and they were very tame.  I stood about 3 feet from a feeder and
took lots of photos. It is nice to see them again in such numbers.

Bill McAneny
TBurg