For an incredible third consecutive year I've stumbled across a pileated
nesthole at the Mulholland Wildflower Preserve. The bird alerted me with
its squawking as I jogged past, looked at me nervously for a long moment
before popping into the hole. I did not hear baby noises, so I assume it is
still incubating.

This nest is a longer walk from the parking lot than the last two years,
perhaps a mile in, but the hole is still conveniently visible from the
trail. Continue past the short stretch of narrow trail along the exposed
water pipe by the steep slope on the left into the next basin. When the
trail forks, take the left ("straight") trail. Soon this trail will take a
slight dip next to another short stretch of exposed water pipe. Before
crossing this dip, take note of the large dead tree on your left: this is
the nest tree, and the hole faces forward parallel to the trail. Continue
walking across the dip to the other side and turn around for a view. The
hole is partway up the left fork of the dead tree. It is relatively low and
should make for good viewing/photos, though it is under thick canopy.

If anyone else checks out this nest, I would appreciate hearing updates on
any activities observed.

Suan

PS. Speaking of baby noises, they're starting to come out. On Giles St
today was a really loud trill of what I'm guessing (without binoculars) was
a junco-fostered cowbird, and downtown a fledgling house sparrow followed
its foraging father. Yesterday at Sapsucker Woods I heard some baby noises
from a cavity off the trail south of the Podell boardwalk.