Reports came out of the woodwork about Turkey Vultures hanging around our area all winter. This shows I don't get out and do much birding during the winter months. It's far more comfortable looking out our kitchen windows.

I still would like any thoughts you may have about true migrants like Red-Wings showing up at this time, when the weather is very harsh and the snow cover is very extensive. Do they not have a way to evaluate conditions on their way north and decide to hold up awhile when conditions are especially bad? Or is the timing of their northward migration pretty much fixed --- for example, this is the time when Red-Wings usually start to show up here. So when the winds are favorable for migration, many of the birds take off and, flying at night, don't know what to expect until they land the next morning. Then they have to make due with whatever they happen to find. In this case, I would think they would have a more difficult time finding adequate food sources and good places to roost. On the bright side of things, however, time is on their side --- the weather will continue to improve as the season progresses (although more slowly some years than others!!). All they have to do is hang in there!

Larry

--

W. Larry Hymes