Today Betsy Darlington took me to the Finger Lakes Land Trust’s newest
preserve, the Logan Hill Nature Preserve in Candor.  Betsy and her husband
Dick purchased the property in 1972, then donated almost all of it to the
Land Trust in February 2015.  The preserve encompasses 285 stunningly
diverse and biologically rich acres of woods, wetlands, and meadows along
Logan Hill Road.  I think it clearly stands along with Lindsay-Parsons, the
McIlroy Bird Sanctuary, and the Roy H. Park Preserve as one of the very
best Land Trust sites for birding near Ithaca.

We found 48 bird species, including HOODED WARBLER, BLACK-AND-WHITE
WARBLER, BLUE-WINGED WARBLER, CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER, EASTERN BLUEBIRD,
HERMIT THRUSH, YELLOW-THROATED VIREO, and BLUE-HEADED VIREO.  The highlight
was my first AMERICAN WOODCOCK in the 10-year history of the Spring Bird
Quest (SBQ).  This bird flushed up from the leaf litter right next to us,
fanning a striking red tail with contrasting black and white terminal
bands.  It settled again about 50 meters away.  We watched it watching us
for several minutes.  It was only the second woodcock I’ve ever seen at
rest by day.

We also saw at least 10 species of butterflies – Red Admiral, White
Admiral, Mourning Cloak, Black Swallowtail, Tiger Swallowtail, Pearl
Crescent, Juvenal’s Duskywing, Little Wood-Satyr, Spring Azure, and Clouded
Sulphur.  I am looking forward to returning later in the summer to look for
butterflies again.  I think that the gravel road will be full of them,
especially when the rain leaves some puddles behind.

My thanks to Betsy for her wonderful company and guidance today, and to
both her and Dick for donating such a truly special place to the Land Trust!

Mark Chao

PS.  Tomorrow, I will lead the month’s last bird walk for the SBQ.  It will
take place at the Ellis Hollow Nature Preserve along Ellis Hollow Creek
Road in Dryden, just outside of Ithaca, starting at 8 AM.

Running SBQ tally:  121 bird species