I would like to add  my two cents to the deisre to drive 3 1/2 hours  to
attempt to see a gray jay at Sabattis Bog.  If you enjoy standing on the side
of the road looking at posted signs, then Sabattis bog is the place to go.  You
might consider Ferd's bog in Inlet, Spring pond bog in Tupper Lake ( only
accessible through a pass from the Nature Conservancy in Keene), and Madawaska
near Paul Smiths as other places to check.   Or if you head up to Bloomingdale
bog plan to walk around and enjoy the scenery as the gray jays are not always
looking for a hand out. If you're going to go to Sabattis bog, consider hiring
Joan Collins to guide you.  Gary Lee in Inlet, the Thaxtons in Keene Valley are
some other choices of guides for the Adirondacks.   The Great Adirondack
Birding Celebration is held the first weekend in June and field trips head out
to prime boreal habitat.  Another birding weekend is sponsored by Hamilton
County later in June.  And last but not least  Onondaga Audubon's '" City
Cemeteries to Boreal Bogs" is still in print and provides other locations to
bird in the Adks.
Bernie Carr