Josh,

Great job compiling conservation status information on these birds! Sorting
through all the various lists at state, national, and global scales can be very
challenging. I think you’re approach of combining state-listed species, global
concern lists, and eBird records is exactly the right approach to take.

Another recent source with additional information on these species is the
Partners in Flight Landbird Conservation Plan, also published in 2016:
http://www.partnersinflight.org/  The only minor change since the State of the
Birds report, is that Evening Grosbeak was added to the Watch List because of
its steep declines — it could be added to your list as a winter visitor (now
rare) on FLNF. Olive-sided Flycatcher (also on the Watch List) also could
potentially be added as a migrant.

The Partners in Flight Plan also lists a group of “Common Birds in Steep
Decline,” which are not yet on the Watch List, but have lost 50% or more of
their global population since 1970 (according to the BBS), and are often
representative of degraded habitats. These include the Yellow-billed Cuckoo,
Field Sparrow, and Rusty Blackbird, which you have already listed as “honorable
mentions,” as well as some other common local species — Bank Swallow (B),
Blackpoll Warbler (migrant), Pine Siskin (W), Eastern Meadowlark (B), Chimney
Swift (B), Wilson’s Warbler (M), Least Flycatcher (B), American Tree Sparrow
(W), and Common Grackle (!).

If the FLNF has additional questions, or is going through a formal process to
update their list, I would be happy to provide more input.

KEN

Kenneth V. Rosenberg
Conservation Science Program
Cornell Lab of Ornithology
Office: 607-254-2412
cell: 607-342-4594
k...@cornell.edu<mailto:k...@cornell.edu>

On Mar 15, 2017, at 12:42 PM, Joshua Snodgrass