Hi All,
Thanks to Nancy C. for pointing out some of the specific invasive plant
species growing around the Swan Pen at Stewart Park.
Thanks to Linda O. for mentioning that a plan needs to exist for restoring
any habitat structure that is lost by removing invasive plant species there.

The good news is that both the Cayuga Bird Club and the Friends of Stewart
Park group are both aware of this issue and working (albeit slowly because
it involves many stakeholder groups) toward a solution.  The Friends of SP
group has been working with the City of Ithaca and others on a master plan
for the park that includes planting of a substantial amount of native-plant
habitat for birds and other wildlife.  The area around the Swan Pen is just
one of focal areas for such plantings in the park.

The Cayuga Bird Club will be provided the opportunity to weigh-in
substantially on things like location of bird habitat plantings and
specific plants to include.  One of several issues that need to be
addressed first is raising of funds.  All readers of this listserv can help
by attending a bird-related benefit for Stewart Park at 7pm on Tuesday May
9th at Cinemopolis.  Two of our Cayuga Bird Club members (Sarah Blodgett
and Marie Read) will be featured artists at the benefit.  Below is the post
that Marie Read mentioned about it recently on the Cayuga Bird Club
Facebook page.

Please join us in supporting Stewart Park revitalization by attending this
multi-media benefit event. Photographers Dede Hatch, Sarah Blodgett, and I
will be showing images accompanied by live string music from Rick Manning
and his group, as well as Djug Django, and Tensin Chopak.

Thanks again to Nancy and Linda for starting this thread.  Please come and
support this fund-raising event for an important, local birding spot.

Jody