Too late to solve Betsy's mystery, but wanted to write to say that my sister-in-law and I went through the same sequence Easter weekend -- unfamiliar song, three clear identical notes, walked around block following bird but couldn't find it. We live right in Trumansburg and see the same bunch of backyard birds over and over again, so Occam's razor suggested it must be a bird we knew. It took us an embarrassingly long time to think to try titmouse. (Thank you, All About Birds!). One thing we got hung up on was the volume of the sound. High decibel-to-gram ratio, there.

Antonia Saxon