I led two trips to the BBBO this weekend for the Spring Field Ornithology class
- one Saturday and a second one Sunday. It is absolutely amazing what
difference a single day can make on an almost identical itinerary.

There was a lot of discussion among the leaders at the end of the week as to
whether the trip should go on at all. The weather forecast was for rain both
days, with strong winds and falling temperatures on Sunday. Finally, at around
8 pm Friday the decision was made to go - and take our chances with the
weather. We were told that the banding station would be active and the nets
would be open during any period of no rain and if the wind remained below
something like 20 mph.

Saturday morning I met my group at Cass Park at 5:30 and sat in our cars for
the next 10 minutes to wait out a terrific downpour. As we drove north, the sky
lightened and the rain cut back to just a drizzle. By the time we arrived at
Braddock Bay, on the lake shore just west of Rochester, the rain had quick
altogether, and the net check crew was just coming in with a handful of cloth
bags - full of birds. For the next couple of hours we watched the banding
process and listened to the crew explain their work and the data collection.

Around mid-morning we left the banding station and drove a short distance to
Owl Woods, a wooded preserve just up the road. We walked the loop trail,
focusing on an array of common birds: Cardinal, Catbird, House Wren, Blue-gray
Gnatcatcher, Chickadee. As we were finishing the loop and about to leave to get
an early lunch, we encountered a so-called “feeding flock”. Birds were
everywhere, and it was impossible to get everyone on each bird. We had
Ruby-crowned Kinglets (we saw many Kinglets netted and banded earlier in the
morning), Black-throated Blue Warblers, Black-and-White Warblers, American
Redstarts, Red-breasted Nuthatches (and heard more: Black-throated Green
Warblers and House Wrens). It was all over in about a half hour as the birds
moved on. We were left, literally, breathless!

>From there we drove a mile east and pulled into the Braddock Bay marina for a
>quick picnic on the hoods of our cars. Somehow we had picked the right spot -
>right under a tree with foraging Yellow Warblers and Yellow-rumped Warblers.
>After lunch we walked out to the lakeshore. My intention had been to walk
>along the shore, looking for birds in the trees overhead and then scoping the
>lake for water birds. However, the water level in the lake was so high (many
>of the houses along the shore had sand bags in front to keep back the waves)
>that we could only scope from one spot. But that spot happened to be near the
>nest of a Spotted Sandpiper, and we were able to study its erratic wing motion
>in flight and the typical tail-bobbing while perched. Cormorants flew past,
>and a group of Red-breasted Mergansers flew in and landed close by. At one
>point I spotted an American Pipit, distant along the shore, before it
>disappeared into the brush.

At that point we called it a productive day and headed home, stopping briefly
at the Lott Farm to look for Upland Sandpipers (unsuccessfully) and to admire
the dozens of Bobolinks chasing each other around the unmowed portion of the
fields.

That was Saturday. That evening the discussion continued as to whether we
should go again the next day (different groups, though). The forecast for
Sunday actually looked worse, but with Sandy Podulka willing to take her group
first (at 4 am!) and her promise to let me know how it look up there when she
arrived (and about the time I would be waking up - 6 am) I let my group know
that we would try it.

This morning at Cass Park, before we could even get out of the parking lot, we
had seen and discussed a White-CROWNED Sparrow, Chipping Sparrow, Song Sparrow,
and House Sparrow. On the road to Geneva we encountered a small flock of Wild
Turkeys, birds we have watched carefully for the day before but missed for that
day’s list. We arrived at the BBBO around 9:30 and found that, because of rain
early in the morning, they has just recently opened the nets and begun to catch
birds. Once again we watched the whole process of taking birds out of the nets,
banding them, and recording their physical measurements (wing chord, tarsus
length, weight), aging and sexing them. Once again the majority of birds
captured were Ruby-Crowned Kinglets, several of them being birds that had been
banded there the day before and had not yet moved on. One of the great thrills
of being there is seeing the birds so close in hand and being able to observe
and discuss the plumage patterns, the condition of the feathers (fresh vs worn
used in determining the bird’s age), how much fat the bird is carrying, and so
on.

We watched while they banded a Robin, a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, and several
Chickadees (as well as numerous Kinglets). Shortly before noon we left the
banding station to, just like yesterday, walk the trail in Owl Woods. Today was
a bit different. It was colder (low 40’s) with a stiff westerly wind. And the
Woods was silent! We heard one Cardinal, one chickadee, two House Wrens, and a
couple of odd chip notes. No feeding flock. No great looks at warblers. We ate
a quick picnic at the cars and headed around the corner to Braddock Bay State
Park. On advice from Sandy, we walked out the short boardwalk into the marsh
below the hawk watch platform. Even facing into the brisk west wind, we were
able to pick out Mute Swans, Ruddy Ducks, and Greater Scaup on the water, and
both Marsh Wrens and Swamp Sparrows in the cattails. We should have skipped Owl
Woods and gone straight there! After awhile we drove out to the lakeshore, and
thought we didn’t see the Spotty (or the Pipit), we did get multiple
Double-crested Cormorants and Caspian Terns flying past. At that point we
decided we had seen enough (it was already 3 pm) and should head home.

I had received an RBA earlier in the morning about a flock of Brant at the
north end of Seneca Lake. With only a short detour we got to Seneca Lake State
Park, scoped the water, and NO Brant! But what we did find was a group of 7
Horned Grebes in breeding plumage and close to shore. And a couple of Common
Loons. And some Greater Scaup. And a singing Yellow Warbler. And some distant
Bonaparte’s Gulls. I was more than satisfied that we had seen a lot and
suggested that we finally head home. Then, about a mile down Rt 96 I got
another RBA that the Brant were on the lawn at the Geneva Visitor’s Center. We
turned around and raced back along the lake, pulled into the VC parking lot,
and there were the 23 Brant calmly foraging on the lawn. Of course, with the
scope already set up, we kept looking - and spotted several Common Terns out
over the lake and a Purple Martin in its condo on the shore.

Today, after being shut out in Owl Woods and with all the cold and wind, I had
figured by lunch time that the day was going to be a bust. But with a couple of
fortunate stops at Braddock Bay and then Seneca Lake, we were able to agree -
success!

Two different days, back-to-back, and two completely different experiences. Two
long days, and now it’s time for bed. Thanks to all my group participants and
to Sandy and Andrea (at the BBBO) helping make it a great weekend.

Bob McGuire