At the Van Dyne Spoor wetlands yesterday we observed what seemed vey
unusual gallinule behavior. An adult was swimming along up a small
channel in the surface weeds while three young were sort of lazing
around nearby. A second gallinule was a distance off.

Suddenly, the adult accelerated and altered course toward one of the
youngsters. When they were close, the adult came up out of the water and
crash dived on top of the kid! The adult quickly surfaced and, despite
watching for some time, we never saw the young reappear. The other two
kids and the other adult ignored the whole affair.

I hope the youngster just retreated underwater to heavy cover.

John

--
John and Sue Gregoire
Field Ornithologists