Hi John et al,

this is well-known gallinule “parental” behavior.  As many will know, birds
often lay more eggs and hatch more young than they can rear. The theoretical
explanation is that in a good year, when the healthiest as well as most young
can be raised, parents benefit by being ready with that number in the nest.
But food or conditions will be less than good in many years. Probably most such
young die without direct parental actions, simply through feeding rules that
favor larger chicks, or because smaller young run out of fat fuel sooner during
lean patches and stop begging and die.

But gallinules (moorhens in Europe) are known for directly reducing the number
of young, using a behavior “touseling” (yes, it even has a name) in which
adults start to peck at and drive off/down select young.  According to the
literature, they are likely to select less brightly colored young.  The color
is related to the health and immune status of the chick, so they appear to be
selecting the lower quality young.

In some raptors, pelicans, boobies, and egrets, larger siblings are usually the
ones to peck and often kill their smaller siblings.

Anne
Anne B Clark
147 Hile School Rd
Freeville, NY 13068