Please join me and the Cayuga Bird Club at our annual “Loon Watch” this
Saturday, November 10th at 6:20 AM. The event will be held at Taughannock Falls
State Park near the entrance of Taughannock Falls Creek into Cayuga Lake. Winds
are forecast to be blustery and from the WSW Saturday morning. Not ideal for a
major flight, but hopefully we will be able to observe some movement. I have
been monitoring loon populations near the Camp Barton Boy Scout Camp this past
week and usually find 15-20 birds on the water at any given time. So hopefully
we will have some activity. Three years ago we observed ~ 900 loons, but last
year only 127. So the numbers are unpredictable, but there is a chance to see
many other migrants including scoters, Brant and other ducks. And the company
is always fun. So dress warm and plan to stay around until we end the count
around 8:30 AM. See you Saturday.