It was a magic morning watching my birds at the feeders.  I had a White Crown
Sparrow and  White Throated Sparrow which I hadn’t seen in quite a while.  I
went out and through out more Sparrow food and came in to watch again.  A large
bird the size of a mockingbird landed on the arbor.  My camera was , for once
right in front of me,  so I began taking lots of pictures.  The bird wasn’t
interested in the feeder .  It landed on the ground once.  I have mice and
voles around the feeder.  It seemed more interested in the birds.  Most had
left.  Well, when I got to examine the images closely I found out it was an
immature first winter Northern Shrike!  I’ve never been that close to a Shrike
before.  I’ve only seen adults.  Talk about making my day!  Now I just need
some Evening Grosbeaks and Redpolls.  I live in a rural development.  Our lots
are 2 acres or more and there is a farm across the road on route 20, so the
habitat does work for these birds.  So exciting!

Sent from my iPad