I was about to say that anyone who wants to discuss the matter cogently with
actual farmers and hayfield managers would do well to consult the Resources
page on the Cayuga Bird Club website, where this link lives:
Cornell Cooperative Extension has published a very helpful document on Hayfield
Management and Grassland Bird Conservation.

Alas! That link is broken. But here’s one that still works:

https://www.nyfoa.org/application/files/6314/7948/6092/HayfieldsGrassland_Birds_3MB.pdf

More generally, let’s remember that without field culture and haymaking, most
of what we call grassland in this part of the country would revert to forest
cover, where Bobolinks and Meadowlarks would not be found.

-Geo

Sent from my iPhone