Good to hear others’ ideas, thanks!

One of Pfeiffer’s suggestions is that, as must as possible, we walk rather than
drive on the Christmas Bird Count. I’ve made that my tradition for a number of
years, literally just walking out my door and out on a big complicated loop for
the morning, then off “poaching” in the afternoon (again by foot) at one of the
hotspot parks which others already formally covered on the count. I find that
starting the year this way keeps me in touch with the birds and people of my
neighborhood, and of course I can do a far more thorough job birding outside of
a car.

Before I adopted my neighborhood as a CBC territory, I shared a rural CBC
territory with another birder. We took my small car and a spare set of keys. We
drove to the start of a road, I dropped her off with keys at the start. Then I
drove a mile, parked, and walked ahead while she birded and caught up to the
car. She drove to me, we switched and I drove ahead. We leapfrogged, all
birding on foot, and neither the people nor the car backtracked, so neither
time nor fuel were not wasted, we didn’t get too cold, and we checked in
regularly.

- - Dave Nutter