Great suggestions, Suan.   And you make really
good points about the Christmas Bird Count.

I heartily endorse the Finger Lakes Climate
Fun--our family offsets all our travel, heating,
electricity, etc use at the end of each year
(using their handy calculator) with a donation to
this group, which then uses the money to help
make local homes more energy efficient--for
families who couldn't otherwise afford to do
this. So, our birding is already covered in that
(not saying it excuses all the travel).  Perhaps
some others are also already doing this?

Here is what they say on their website "The
Finger Lakes Climate Fund will initially fund
residential energy efficiency projects for low to
moderate income households in the Finger Lakes
region. The fund will help pay for insulation,
air sealing, energy efficient heating equipment,
and other upgrades to reduce energy use and
greenhouse gas emissions. The energy efficiency
upgrades are carried out by Building Performance
Institute accredited contractors using guidelines
provided by the New York State Energy Research
and Development Authority. These home energy
efficiency projects reduce greenhouse gas
emissions, support low income families, and help stimulate our local economy. "

Sandy Podulka