Hi all,
Just in case anyone is wondering, part of the cost of our trip to Colombia
is to pay for carbon offsets. It's built-in to the trip because we
recognize that traveling to go birding and to meet with conservationists
and to see  the outcomes of their efforts has  environmental consequences.

We contributed substantially to the local residents and overall economy on
our trip, which provides tangible reason for local residents to maintain or
improve habitat in the cloud forests of the Andes.  Many of the local
guides who work for protected areas (some private, some municipal, some
state/federal) earn about $18-20 per day.  Our group tipped each of these
local guides, often providing them with more than they make in a couple
days.  We supported local lodges, restaurants and even dairy farms which
not protect montane forest that is critical to some birds teetering on the
edge of extinction.  Yes, we used some fossil fuel in our ground
transportation (all flights were filled with people visiting families and
would have gone whether we birders were on the flights or not).  But, the
economic impact of our visit was hugely positive, especially after almost
two years of no ecotourism activity.

We certainly enjoy the birds we encounter on these trips, but the
connections we make with the people and the natural world in these
locations both deepens our understanding of the situation and our
connection to the natural world, and it stimulates us to take additional
conservation actions.

Just thought folks would want to hear about all that.

Happy birding.

Jody W. Enck, PhD
Conservation Social Scientist, and
Founder of the Sister Bird Club Network