This line from a famous movie came to mind this morning as I watched the 300+
Sandhill Cranes attempt to land in the field on the corner of Olmstead and
Armitage Roads:

"It really was no miracle what happened was just this: The wind began to
switch, the house to pitch, and suddenly the hinges started to unhitch, just
then the Witch! To satisfy an itch, went flying on her broomstick thumbing for
a hitch!"

The wind has been very strong all day, and they eventually were able to land,
but I came upon them as they were still in the sky. I'm not sure how long they
had been jockeying for position, but I watched them for at least 5 minutes
attempting to land. They were facing into the wind and trying to gently touch
down, but the wind was tossing them around. The last several mornings they have
been in this same spot, between 8:30 and 9:30 am. I took a few pictures and
will try to get a count on them, but I'm not convinced all of them were there.
Scragglers kept showing up so, there were likely more already landed or still
coming. The high count that I know of, is 354, and they were counted last
Saturday at Knox Marsellus! I would love to beat that number, if anyone gets a
good count let me know.

Also, Bald Eagles. Since it got cold this week, and the marshes started to
freeze (thawed now!), the eagles seem to be gathering at the Clyde River/Canal
location where 89 goes over. Please do not stop on the bridge to watch them,
very dangerous. I believe you could get good looks if you park near Lock 25 and
walk under the 89 overpass, or just look along the canal in the trees around
the lock area. Also the May's Point fishing access site would be a good place
to park. Lastly, at the south end of the 89 bridge, where it connects back with
the ground, on the west side, you can pull off and get on the other side of the
guard rail. Tschache pool will like also have good eagle viewing as well. As I
drove north on 89 this morning, I saw 2 adults sitting together on a muskrat
lodge. The eagles in the trees around the water were a variety of ages,
probably a dozen or so.

Enjoy and be safe!

--
Alyssa Johnson