I think the idea is to give birds names which help us think of the birds rather
than giving them names of people which can get the birds tangled in human
affairs. The question becomes what attributes of the bird are unique, helpful,
and concise enough to be a useful name for a species.

For example, the first time I encountered a LeConte’s Sparrow, I had never
heard of LeConte, nor the bird which was named after him. In fact, I knew very
little about sparrows. It was late December 1974, and I was a high schooler on
a Christmas Bird Count near Ocean City, Maryland, hours away from my home, on a
several-day youth birding field trip through a nature center.

The bird flushed from a dry weedy field where I was walking with my birding
partner that day, another teenager named Paul Burdick. It perched atop a stalk
several yards away and sat there while we stared perplexed through binoculars
then got out our field guides. My Peterson Eastern US guide showed 14 tiny
profiles of stripy-breasted sparrows on one page and 16 tiny profiles of
plainer breasted sparrows on the next. They were hard for me to distinguish,
and names like Lincoln’s, Henslow’s, Baird’s, LeConte’s, Nelson’s, and Harris’s
gave no clues about habitat or field marks but instead mixed me up further. So
I had never studied those pages, and in this crucial moment my eyes glazed over
and my mind went blank.

I looked over Paul’s shoulder at his open Golden Guide to Birds of North
America. It had a 2-page spread of larger bust portraits, which was better, of
12 stripy-breasted sparrows opposite 20 plain-breasted sparrows, but including
3 additional people-names. Nine pages followed with larger portraits facing
descriptions and maps. Again, this was better, but it took awhile to rule out
enough to arrive at the most likely page (which depicted nothing familiar to
me). Our bird had a distinctly yellow face and a dark cap. I pointed to the
picture at the top. “It’s that one with the white line in the middle of the
crown.“ Amazingly, the bird was still atop the weed for us to double-check and
agree: LeConte’s Sparrow. The map was so small and vague that we couldn’t tell
that Maryland was a bit outside its range.

At the compilation that evening our bird was not on the list, but at the
conclusion the compiler, Chandler Robbins, primary author of the Golden Guide,
asked if there were any additional species. Paul and I raised our hands.
“LeConte’s Sparrow”. The crowded room was quiet. There were no dismissive
comments. The compiler handed each of us a pen and a piece of blank paper and
asked us to describe and draw our observations. Sparrows are so small and
complicated and stripy, and I had never tried to draw one (as I had some larger
birds) nor considered the various feather tracts and what to call them. The
bird had been alone, so size was hard to say, although it was small. I had
never compared the length or shape of sparrows’ tails. My description was
basically “a sparrow with no wing bars, that was yellow especially on the face,
and that had a dark crown with a narrow white stripe down the middle.” We told
the compiler where the field was, and it turns out the habitat was appropriate.

Although our observation was not immediately added to the count, our
descriptions prompted a return expedition a week later from Washington, DC, and
I was invited as was another teenager, Peter Pyle, a budding bander (who later
wrote the banders’ Identification Guide to North American Passerines.) There
were 2 or 3 carloads of us. We set up mist nets in front of a hedge at one end
of the field, then most of us circled around to the far end, spread out, and
slowly walked toward the nets, driving the birds ahead of us. Peter was among a
few who stayed near the nets. As the birds arrived he saw the little yellowish
one approaching, but it flew between a pole and the adjacent net to settle on
the ground just beyond. Peter clapped a hand down over it and caught the first
Maryland record of LeConte’s Sparrow. Several people took photographs. A couple
feathers were plucked, I think to add to the Smithsonian collections, then I
was very relieved that the bird was released rather than turned entirely into a
museum specimen. Someone went to a pay phone to make a collect phone call from
“Lee Conte” as a coded message that our ID was good.

Paul and I could not have identified the bird if it had not stayed perched long
enough for us to flip through the field guides. Our process might have been a
lot faster if the bird was named “Yellow-faced Sparrow,” so that’s my
suggestion.

- - Dave Nutter

--

(copy & paste any URL below, then modify any text "_DOT_" to a period ".")