I'm running nmap traversing the ASA.

With this service-policy, nmap shows all ports open:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
policy-map global_policy
 class class-default
  set connection embryonic-conn-max 15 per-client-embryonic-max 3

service-policy global_policy global
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My setup:

Nmap---Outside---ASA---Inside---R4

Without the "set connection" option, I get the expected behavior:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
amsoares@server2:~$ nmap 4.4.4.4

Starting Nmap 5.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2011-05-19 19:47 CEST
Interesting ports on 4.4.4.4:
Not shown: 999 closed ports
PORT   STATE SERVICE
23/tcp open  telnet

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 21.22 seconds
amsoares@server2:~$
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now with that "set connection" option, I get all ports open, no matter if
the destination IP is up or down. Is this an ASA problem ? I understand that
I'm killing the port scanning with the "set connection" option but I would
expect to get all ports closed and not open. For some reason, the ASA sends
back the SYN/ACK even if the destination IP is down.

The ASA is running 8.2.1.

Thanks.

Regards,

Antonio Soares, CCIE #18473 (R&S/SP)