Correct! - and an alternating electric current is represented as a
complex number (then it's conventional to use the symbol 'j' for
sqrt(-1) to avoid confusion with 'i', the symbol for electric
current!).  Since as you say electric current is a scalar not a
vector, then a complex number has to be a scalar, not a vector!

Cheers

-- Ian