On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 8:11 PM, Douglas Theobald
<dtheob...@brandeis.edu> wrote:
> Vectors are not only three-dimensional, nor only Euclidean -- vectors can be
> defined for any number of arbitrary dimensions.  Your initial comment
> referred to complex numbers, for instance, which are 2D vectors (not 1-D).
> Obviously scalars are not 3-vectors, they are 1-vectors.  And contrary to
> your earlier assertion, you can always represent complex numbers as vectors
> (in fortran, C, on paper, or whatever), and it is possible to define many
> different valid types of multiplication, exponentiation, logarithms, powers,
> etc. for vectors (and matrices as well).

I didn't say that vectors are only 3D or only Euclidean (note my
qualification 'Euclidean *or otherwise*').  I was stating that we're
not talking here specifically about 1D (or 2D) vectors; my use of 3D
is only an example, since my original example referred to structure
factors which are usually defined in 3D reciprocal space. Quite
obviously vectors can be generalised to any number of dimensions (as
in the example below).

Let's take a simple example of an operation that's trivial to express
using complex numbers as scalars.  Suppose we have 2 vectors of
complex structure factors of equal dimension (n) and we want to form
the (complex) scalar product.  This kind of equation arises in, for
example, the theory of direct methods.

Let F = (F1, F2, F3, ... Fn)
and G = (G1, G2, G3, ... Gn)

Then the scalar product F.G = F1*G1 + F2*G2 + F3*G3 + ... Fn*Gn  (or
SUM [j=1 to n] Fj*Gj),
where '+' and '*' here are the normal addition and multiplication
operators on scalars (here complex of course).
Note that the result of a scalar product of 2 vectors is by definition
a scalar and here it's complex!

Also note that the RHS can be programmed exactly as written, in fact
something like:

      COMPLEX F, G, S
      S = 0
1    READ (*,*,END=2) F, G
      S = S + F*G
      GOTO 1
2    PRINT *,S
      END

Now, how would you express the scalar product F.G in a way that could
be programmed, using vector notation for all the complex numbers, and
obviously you can only use operators that are defined for vectors,
namely addition, subtraction, scalar multiplication, scalar and
exterior product?

Then when you've done that, how would you express a ratio of complex
numbers (say F1/G1), again using only  vector notation?

-- Ian