This can be very hard to do because quite a few proteases are promiscuous
and will cut substrates solely based on masking of the polypeptide within
the structure of the protein. Typically these proteases will not stop
cutting at a single nick - they often proceed until they can't 'dig into' a
buried or obstructed section. Often one protease nicks the chain and other
proteases (or amino/carboxy peptidases) extend the gap. I would base the
search on the observed phenomenon - i.e. is it a single nick, a few residues
missing, or a whole swath or domain?

Theoretical aspects (i.e. searching for sequences) have been mentioned
already - practical ones of course include fractionating the environmental
factors (i.e. cell juice) where the cutting takes place and exposing the
uncut substrate protein (if you can get it!) to fractions, then
sub-fractionating; you can use class-specific inhibitors to further narrow
down the selection of enzymes; in some cases a trap (crosslinking, suicide
substrate, etc.) can be used to identify the perpetrator. In some cases it
may be possible to identify the enzyme by separating all possibilities on
e.g. a 2D gel then exposing a fluorogenic peptide to the gel and trying to
find a glowing spot (or spots). But again, this is not a very clean solution
due to promiscuous nature of many proteases and the sad fact that post-gel
renaturation is not guarranteed (not to mention that the protease in
question may be multisubunit, or activated by cofactors and gel will destroy
these interactions).

What do you actually see?

Artem