Hello,

Indeed, rigged positions do exist. In places where it is compulsory to advertise positions but where the person who will get the job has been selected in advance and is known already at the time the job advertisement appears. This does happen in several countries worldwide.

I do not agree much with "ccp4bb wars" but India has been known to hire Indian citizens only for permanent jobs (with government funding). Foreigners (as I was told by Indian scientists - whom I believe) are only allowed to be employed on "soft money", i.e. fixed term fellowships that may be renewed. This is quite different however than claiming (as Sham does) that this is a rigged job, I personally do not know (I won't be sitting on the panel interviewing the candidates).

But for those (worldwide) who are involved in arranging such rigged jobs, perhaps these people should make it clear in advance to the candidates: "Look, we are only advertising this position because it is compulsory. Now if you want to practice giving a presentation of your results for a future job interview and come visit us, and perhaps stay on for a couple of days to visit the area, we'd be delighted to have you around. But do not expect to get a job with us. Just don't repeat this to anyone, in fact we are warning you by phone because there will be no traces of this conversation ever having taken place". This would be more fair to the people who apply - but this is only day dreaming I think.

F.