George points out that the quote I referred to did not make it to the BB -- here we go, read below and learn, it is a most succinct summary.
phx

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: [ccp4bb] reference for "true multiplicity"?
Date:   Tue, 14 May 2013 09:25:22 +0100
From:   Frank von Delft <frank.vonde...@sgc.ox.ac.uk>
To:     George Sheldrick <gshe...@shelx.uni-ac.gwdg.de>

Thanks!  It's the Acta D59 p688 I was thinking of - start of discussion:

   "The results presented here show that it is possible to solve
   protein structures using the anomalous scattering from native
   S atoms measured on a laboratory instrument in a careful but
   relatively routine manner, provided that a sufficiently high
   real redundancy is obtained (ranging from 16 to 44 in these
   experiments). Real redundancy implies measurement of
   equivalent or identical re¯ections with different paths through
   the crystal, not just repeated measurements; this is expedited
   by high crystal symmetry and by the use of a three-circle (or )
   goniometer."

Wise words...

phx