On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 01:58:06 pm Colin Nave wrote:

> The use of the term redundancy (real or otherwise!) in crystallography
> is potentially misleading as the normal usages means superfluous/ surplus
> to requirements.

That may be true in the UK, but on this side of the pond "redundancy"
normally refers to ensuring a safety margin by having more of whatever
than is strictly needed for functionality, so that even if some of the
whatsits fail you have enough remaining to go on with. The use of
the term in crystallography is perfectly normal to American ears.

Here's a definition from Wikipedia

 "redundancy is the duplication of critical components or functions
  of a system with the intention of increasing reliability of the
  system..."

        just another tidbit of cross-pond difference in language.

                        Ethan

--
Ethan A Merritt
Biomolecular Structure Center,  K-428 Health Sciences Bldg