Hi Nic,

There is no reason that you have to use the Unity desktop at all.  I prefer
using the XFCE4 desktop myself.  It is easily installable from the Ubuntu
repositories and then you just have to select it at login.

Cheers,
Rob

--
Robert L. Campbell, Ph.D.
Senior Research Associate/Adjunct Assistant Professor