This is a famously fabricated crystal structure - the absence of contact was one of the clues, see http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v448/n7154/full/nature06102.html

Cheers, Matt.

On 2015-02-06 11:58, Kerff Fred wrote:
Hello,

Looking at structure 2HR0 ("The structure of complement C3b provides
insights into complement activation and regulation. »,Abdul Ajees, A.,
Gunasekaran, K.,  Volanakis, J.E.,  Narayana, S.V.,  Kotwal, G.J.,
Krishna Murthy, H.M.;  (2006) Nature 444: 221-225), I noticed the
absence of contacts between layers in the crystal. Is it something
that has already been observed in other crystals?

Best regards,

Fred
-----
Frédéric Kerff