Laurent Maveyraud <laurent.maveyr...@ipbs.fr> writes:

> this is explained in details in table 2.2.4.1 of vol A of
> International Tables of Crystallography (p 18 in my edition).
>
> For trigonal/hexagonal, the primary direction is along c, along the
> 3-fold (6-fold axis). It's the same in tetragonal (obviously for the
> 4-fold axis !)..
>
> The secondary directions for trigonal/hexagonal are [100], the a
> vector, [010], the b vector, and [-1-10] the diagonal direction
> between -a and -b vectors (and therefore of between the a and b
> vectors).
> In tetragonal, the secondary directions are only [100], a, and [010], b.
>
> The tertiary direction for trigonal/hexagonal are [120] and [-2-10]
> which are directions perpendicular to a and to b, respectively, and
> [1-10]. None of these directions are the diagonal of a and b vectors.
> In tetragonal, the tertiary directions are [110], the diagonal of the
> a and b vectors, and [1-10], the diagonal of the a and -b vectors.

I find it less confusing in these cases—not everyone might agree—to use
three equivalent axes ⟂ to Z: X, Y and U, and hence four‐index
denotations for directions, h k i l where h + k + i = 0. Someone has
borrowed my copy of McKie and McKie, and not brought it back, but I’ve
made the enclosed badly‐drawn diagram from memory.

--
Ian ◎