>...The 1 is definitely no place holder. It has a very significant meaning.

Not sure why place holders are inimical to significance. I think you are saying
that the 1 tells you there is no rotation here, like the 0 in the number 201
tells you there are no tens in that number. I call that a place holder. To
check myself I looked up its definition, and serendipitously found its
mathematical definition "a significant zero in the decimal representation of a
number."

The increasing number of apparently redundant numbers in a space group name is
not accidental or incremental. It is simply because in e-mail, people could not
(in recent history) write the subscripts. So, P3112 used to be written as P
3(1) 1 2, which meant there is a 3sub1 3-fold screw, with a 2-fold normal to it
along the diagonal in the ab plane. The round brackets used to save us from
confusion, but their use seems to have dropped out from the lexicon. Who'd be a
crystallographer today!

Pierre Rizkallah