Dear all,
as usual the bulletin board nails it.
The paper I was vaguely remembering was indeed the following:

Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2005 May;61(Pt 5):646-50
Crystallization of foot-and-mouth disease virus 3C protease: surface
mutagenesis and a novel crystal-optimization strategy.
Birtley JR, Curry S.

But of course, the bulletin board goes even further, providing other
interesting hints and food for thoughts:

Structure. 2003 Sep;11(9):1061-70.
Enhancing protein crystallization through precipitant synergy.
Majeed S, Ofek G, Belachew A, Huang CC, Zhou T, Kwong PD.

Acta Crystallogr F Struct Biol Commun. 2014 Sep;70(Pt 9):1117-26
Microseed matrix screening for optimization in protein crystallization: what
have we learned?
D'Arcy A, Bergfors T, Cowan-Jacob SW, Marsh M

Structure. 2017 Jan 3;25(1):107-120
Binding of Myomesin to Obscurin-Like-1 at the Muscle M-Band Provides a Strategy
for Isoform-Specific Mechanical Protection.
Pernigo S, Fukuzawa A, Beedle AE, Holt M, Round A, Pandini A, Garcia-Manyes S,
Gautel M, Steiner RA.

http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/groups/JYL/WWWrobots/PDF/PresentationsOther/additive-screening.pdf

<http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/groups/JYL/WWWrobots/PDF/PresentationsOther/additive-screening.pdf>

Thanks everyone for the feedback and help!
May the crystals grow happily and diffract nicely,
ciao,
Sebastiano