Hello all,

I am working on a ligand binds near the active site of the protein, such
that part of the ligand would clash with part of the natural substrate.  I
recently co-crystallized the enzyme with both molecules and solved the
crystal structure to high resolution (around 1.4 angstrom).  Surprisingly,
the structure appears to contain both molecules.  A few atoms from both
molecules are located only ~1.4 A apart and are clashing (although not
overlapping).  The electron density between them looks connected, but based
on the two groups that are clashing (a methyl group and a carbonyl oxygen),
I do not think that a covalent adduct occurs.  I had a few questions.

1) My guess is that the crystal is "sampling" two different conformational
states and that both are visible due to the high diffraction resolution.
The substrate contains a ring that shows a characteristic "hole" in the
electron density and binds in the exact substrate binding site, suggesting
that it is not a different molecule (no molecules with ring structures were
included in the sample, crystallization buffer, or cry-protectant).  One of
the two proteins in the ASU contains electron density for whole substrate,
while the other site has only density around the ring.  However, a sizable
amount of red FoFc density is present around the substrate, suggesting that
it is only partially occupied.

Does this explanation seem plausible?

2) How would I go about modeling these two molecules in the structure?
Should I include both molecules (in their entirety) in the structure?  I
suspect that neither the ligand nor substrate are completely occupied, so
should I modify the occupancies to reflect this?

Thanks,
Matt