From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of Matthew
Bratkowski
Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 11:12 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] Overlapping ligand electron density

Hello all,

I am working on a ligand binds near the active site of the protein, such that
part of the ligand would clash with part of the natural substrate.  I recently
co-crystallized the enzyme with both molecules and solved the crystal structure
to high resolution (around 1.4 angstrom).  Surprisingly, the structure appears
to contain both molecules.  A few atoms from both molecules are located only
~1.4 A apart and are clashing (although not overlapping).  The electron density
between them looks connected, but based on the two groups that are clashing (a
methyl group and a carbonyl oxygen), I do not think that a covalent adduct
occurs.  I had a few questions.

1) My guess is that the crystal is "sampling" two different conformational
states and that both are visible due to the high diffraction resolution.  The
substrate contains a ring that shows a characteristic "hole" in the electron
density and binds in the exact substrate binding site, suggesting that it is
not a different molecule (no molecules with ring structures were included in
the sample, crystallization buffer, or cry-protectant).  One of the two
proteins in the ASU contains electron density for whole substrate, while the
other site has only density around the ring.  However, a sizable amount of red
FoFc density is present around the substrate, suggesting that it is only
partially occupied.

Does this explanation seem plausible?

2) How would I go about modeling these two molecules in the structure?  Should
I include both molecules (in their entirety) in the structure?  I suspect that
neither the ligand nor substrate are completely occupied, so should I modify
the occupancies to reflect this?

Thanks,

Matt