A point I like to make to new trainees trying to solve structures:
Model phases from a good model are pretty good, but from a practical viewpoint,
if your initial model for molecular replacement is that good, the resulting
structure will probably not tell you much you didn't already know (with
exceptions of course).
If you only have an existing structure for, say, half of what's in your
asymmetric unit, SAD phases will be less biased than model phases from
molecular replacement, even though both may be noisy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Phoebe A. Rice
Dept. of Biochem & Mol. Biol. and
  Committee on Microbiology
https://voices.uchicago.edu/phoebericelab/

On 12/5/18, 9:14 PM, "CCP4 bulletin board on behalf of James Holton"
<CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK on behalf of
0000270165b9f4cf-dmarc-requ...@jiscmail.ac.uk> wrote:

    It is true that MAD phasing can give you hyper-accurate phases. This is
    because you are measuring the heavy atom signal in both directions on
    the Harker diagram, allowing the phase to be solved analytically.  The
    phasing signal is noisy, of course, but you can fix that either with a
    bigger heavy atom (more signal) or by doing a lot of averaging (less
    noise). You will probably need more than one crystal.

    SAD, on the other hand, can never give you very good phases because the
    phase probability distributions are all bimodal. The technology that
    makes SAD practical is solvent flattening, but as soon as you start
    doing things like solvent flattening you are already imposing a model,
    and every model comes with some amount of bias.  How important that bias
    is depends on the question you are trying to answer.

    MIR, like MAD, can get arbitrarily accurate phases, but this and every
    other technique requires a high degree of isomorphism.

    In practice, essentially all experimental phasing attempts are really
    trying to get you just over that ever-elusive tipping point of phase
    quality where solvent flattening and model building can take you the
    rest of the way.  So, in the end what you have are model phases, just
    like if you had done MR.  It's sad really how fleeting the involvement
    of experimental phases are in essentially all MAD/SAD structure
    determinations.  Pun intended.

    That said, model phases are not so bad.  In fact, in all my experiments
    with fake data the model-phased 2mFo-DFc map always has the best
    correlation to the "true" map.  If you substitute the "true" phases and
    use the 2mFo-DFc coefficients you actually make things worse.
    Counter-intuitive, but true.

    -James Holton
    MAD Scientist

    On 12/5/2018 12:07 AM, 香川 亘 wrote:
    > Dear all,
    >
    > It is my understanding that experimental phasing (e.g. Se-SAD), in
principle, yields better electron density maps than molecular replacement for
protein regions with weak electron densities (partially disordered or
flexible).  I would appreciate if someone could provide comments on whether my
understanding is correct or not.  If there any good examples or literatures on
this issue I would be grateful to know about it.