On Thursday, 27 February 2020 16:34:50 PST Alexander Aleshin wrote:
> Ethan wrote:
>     - If you are not making claims about hydrogens but just want to
> describe what you did during refinement, I'd go with taking them out
>
> I've noticed that REFMAC and Phenix use riding hydrogens to calculate the
> refinement statistics, and their exclusion affects R/Rfree. As a result, it
> is not clear what values should be reported.

> In my opinion, riding
> hydrogens play same role as the TLS parameters, which we keep in a pdb
> submission. So, I am not convinced their omission is a good idea.
> I think PDB curators should provide a guidance  how to deal with issues like
> a resolution of anisotropic or incomplete data sets, riding hydrogens,
> sequence numbering etc.

Alex:

You are right that the PDB auto-validation step of recalculating R factors
from the deposited model and observed F's is far from perfect.
I have not looked at the DCC source code, but my impression from the
R factors it spits back at me during deposition:
- it ignores TLS records
- it ignores the header record specifying choice of solvent model
- it does use scattering factors f' and f" from the mmcif coordinate file
- I have no idea what it does with twinning descriptions

As a result there is often a noticeable discrepancy between the R-factors
from "Depositor" and "DCC" in the validation reports.

> Regards,
> Alex
>

> On 2/27/20, 4:05 PM, "CCP4 bulletin board on behalf of Ethan A Merritt"
> <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK on behalf of merr...@uw.edu> wrote:

>     [EXTERNAL EMAIL]
>
>     On Thursday, 27 February 2020 15:35:05 PST Whitley, Matthew J wrote:
>
>     > Hello all,
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > I am nearly finished refining the structures of two mutant proteins
>     > from
>     > crystals that diffracted to very high resolution, 1 Å and 1.2 Å,
>     > respectively.  Refinement was conducted in the presence of explicit
>     > hydrogens on the models.  I am preparing to deposit these models into
>     > the
>     > PDB but am unsure about whether to retain or remove the hydrogens for
>     > deposition.  On one hand, these hydrogens were explicitly used during
>     > refinement, so that makes me want to keep them, but on the other hand,
>     > they
 were added at theoretical positions by MolProbity’s reduce tool
>     > for refinement and were not positioned on the basis of experimentally
>     > observed electron density, so that makes me want to delete them from
>     > the
>     > experimental model.  Which is the preferred option for this
>     > situation?
>

>     The order of operations you describe is unclear.
>
>     If you explicitly refined hydrogens then their final positions are
> indeed
 based on experimentally determined data.
>     The fact that you initially placed them into ideal geometry is not
> really
 any different from the non-H atoms of individual protein residues
> in your model, whose original positions were also based on known
> stereochemistry.
>     On the other hand, if you mean that the hydrogens you used for
> refinement
 were deleted and replaced during validation by Molprobity
> (which I think it may do by default) that's not good.  You should rather
> keep the hydrogen positions from refinement, not the ones from Molprobity.
>
>     Assuming (since this is ccp4bb) you refined with refmac...
>     - If you are at the level of investigating hydrogen positions, you may
> want
 to consider taking the refinement into shelxl.
>     - If you are not making claims about hydrogens but just want to
> describe
 what you did during refinement, I'd go with taking them out and