Matthew:

I think your nice summary leaves out an important point that has not been
explicitly mentioned.  That is the question of whether depositing hydrogens
actually adds information to the model. I submit that for a typical protein
refinement it does not.  The model is adequately described by saying
"hydrogens were added in their riding positions". This, together with
knowledge of the refinement program used, is sufficient to reconstruct
the full model.

This is an example of a recurring concern of mine that model validation
should include consideration of whether the model is overly complex.
Unless you have an abundance of data (which admittedly your 1.0Å case
might) there are insufficient observations to refine 3 positional parameters
for each hydrogen as if they were free variables.  We typically bypass this
by instead using the riding hydrogen model, which adds effectively a single
on/off parameter for the entire mode (plus a small number of implicit
parameters that describe the ideal riding geometry, but those are
normally taken as a priori knowledge rather than free variables).

So I find deposition of hydrogens for a typical resolution structure to
be more misleading than useful.  The correct, parsimonious, description is the
one-line statement that a riding hydrogen model was used.

It is tangential to your question, but I hold the same view about depositing
ANISOU records for a structure when the source of the anisotropy is solely
a TLS model, either with or without individual Biso contributions.
The parsimonious description is to give the TLS parameters and the Biso
component, if any.   These can be expanded to regenerate per-atom
ANISOU parameters if desired by a downstream program.
If you deposit ANISOU records it implies that the Uij terms they describe
are free variables, but they are not.  (or anyway IMHO they should not be,
although PHENIX can violate this stricture).

My view is that for a typical structure (i.e. worse than say 1Å resolution data)
depositing hydrogen positions and ANISOU records at best does no harm.
Unfortunately it implies a statistically unjustifiable model treatment.
The justifiable model is adequately described by the small number of
parameters in the header records;  the hydrogen coordinates and ANISOU
parameters are redundant dross.

I fully understand that your original question was driven by cases where
you do have very high resolution data and so the statistical justification of
refining individual hydrogens or anisotropic ADPs enters a different realm.

        Ethan