A related way of looking at things is saying that you model is over-fitted when
you increase your model's precision without (noticeably) gaining accuracy.

Ethan describes the cases in which you add a lot of parameters in you model.
The test he describes in his paper works great, I use it all the time in
pdb-redo. Pavel sent a lot of references to R-free which is used to test how
predictive the model is. If R-free deviates too much from R, then apparently
your model is not predictive enough for additional data (so it's too precise or
not accurate enough). If we relate accuracy to R-free and the predictiveness of
the model, then where does the precision com from if you do not change the
number of model parameters? We always give coordinates and B-factors with the
same precision in our models, don't we? Well yes, but we change other aspects
of the model's precision by adding restraints (effectively improving the
degrees of freedom of the model: Occam's Razor). For instance we have
restraints to reduce the range that bond lengths can have in our model with
respect to their "known" standard deviation. Or we reduce the differences
between things we expect to be very similar with NCS restraints. That is why we
validate models by looking at scores like the bond length rmsZ: we check
whether the model is not too precise overall. If one bond is much longer or
shorter than expected, this can still be right. If most of them are, then
something is going on and your model may be too precise. Same goes for your
Ramachandran plot, a single outlier may not be a problem, but if all residues
are off a lot you should worry. That is why we have been advocating the
Ramachandran Z-score (also see the recent paper by the Phenix and PDB-REDO
teams).

All of the things are related to the degrees of freedom of your system
(obeservations - parameter + some_weight*restraints). Make sure you do not have
too many parameters overall, improve the degrees of freedom by adding
restraints. You can balance precision and accuracy by changing the weights on
the restraints. And you check the accuracy by looking at the deviation of R and
R-free.

HTH,
Robbie