Dear Gerlind, Markus, All:

Well, sometimes the (written) promise of a 2-year contract also ends up
boiling down systematically (for some PIs) to only a 6-month contract
after all.--And that after you've spent half a year or more and multiple
trips to the country concerned trying to get a work visa and housing,
all at your own expense--particularly tough for migrants and their families:

"Many come here with a promise of a two-year contract, which later turns
out to be a six month scholarship, which is renewed six months at a
time. Many feel that they have been fooled."
 - From Palle Liljebaeck. "Postdoctoral fellows at KI must be given
better terms." Naturvetarna (Sweden), Nov. 7, 2013
<https://www.naturvetarna.se/vi-erbjuder/tidning-och-nyheter/2013/nr-4-2013/Postdoctoral-fellows-at-KI-must-be-given-better-terms/>.

(By the way, work contracts often entail health, pension and other
benefits which may be limited or unavailable on a scholarship.)

Fortunately, many PIs don't agree with such practices. But they do
occur, including unfortunately for jobs advertized on the CCP4 bulletin
board--and so perhaps the IUCr or other institutions can help set better
standards.

Cheers,
Navdeep

---