Worth discussion although may be impossible to fix.
My 2 cents:
Standard contracts here seem to be for 1 year, but I've always worked on the
assumption that the contract will be renewed unless post-doc and PI have
"irreconcilable differences" or there is an unforeseen funding shortfall.
Then again, I have seen people at other institutions tell post-docs that they
will automatically be "out" after just 1 year if they fail to find their own
fellowships, which seems rather exploitative to me - one can do absolutely
everything right and still not get a fellowship.

Phoebe Rice
Dept. of Biochem & Mol. Biol. and Committee on Microbiology
https://voices.uchicago.edu/phoebericelab/

On 1/20/21, 3:45 PM, "CCP4 bulletin board on behalf of Gerlind Sulzenbacher"