Proprietary

Commenting on Patrick’s message:
(snip)  might also consider that PEGs are notorious for impurities of various
types; perhaps the Fluka reagent has less of an impurity that is particularly
vexing for your specific
protein.
Of course, I suppose it might have more of a particular impurity that’s
stimulating crystallization….

Quite a while ago, one of my colleagues had prepared a 50% PEG 4K solution
using the highest grade that Fluka had to offer. To his surprise the next
morning the plastic bottle that contained the solution was mostly empty.
Closer inspection revealed that the “PEG” solution had eaten the plastic up,
then spilled from the shelf where the reagent was stored to the bench below
where it had dissolved additional plastic bottles, some which had spilled too.
A lot like a famous scene of the “Alien” movie.

When we inquired Fluka about this lot of PEG, their reply was that it was up to
specifications, which were very lose, like the pH of a solution was between
some rather extended pH range, the solution had no color, etc. but there were
no actual characterization of the contents.

Thierry
information of Merck & Co., Inc. (2000 Galloping Hill Road, Kenilworth,
New Jersey, USA 07033), and/or its affiliates Direct contact information
for affiliates is available at
for the use of the individual or entity named on this message. If you are
your system.