From: CCP4 bulletin board <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK> on behalf of Patrick Loll
<pjl...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2021 1:39 PM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Fluka-branded PEG 3000

EXTERNAL MAIL

I don’t think we have any of that PEG lying around (sorry), but you might also
consider that PEGs are notorious for impurities of various types; perhaps the
Fluka reagent has less of an impurity that is particularly vexing for your
specific protein.

Of course, I suppose it might have more of a particular impurity that’s
stimulating crystallization….

Here’s an older reference that talks about ways to clean up PEGs:

doi: 10.1016/0003-2697(85)90544-5

I honestly don’t know if “modern” PEG reagents are less likely to contain
impurities than the materials available at the time this paper was written (but
the intrinsic nature of the molecule hasn’t changed, so maybe not?).

Good luck.

Pat Loll

Patrick J.  Loll, PhD (he,his)
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Drexel University College of Medicine
Room 10-102 New College Building
245 N. 15th St.
Philadelphia, PA 19102-1192 USA

On 22 Mar 2021, at 1:00 PM, Correy, Galen