Hello All,

I have run into something odd.  In working on a structure for one of the groups
I work with regularly, on one of the cystine residues I have a very large
positive density peak at the sulfur position. The B value is approximately 4
times the other values in the residue and on other cystine residues.  The
overall structure has 2 molecules in the asymmetric unit  and the corresponding
cystine  on the other monomer is behaving as I would expect.   There are no
disulfides in the structure.

The data were collected on 9-2 at SSRL and all three of the data sets we
collected show the same thing, all data go to about 2.2 angstroms.  We are
trying to determine the ligand binding in the molecule but this cystine is not
involved in ligand binding.  In house and other synchrotron data from previous
protein preps and data collection runs of the same molecule grown in very
similar condition and crystallized in the same space group have the residue
behaving normally.

I am open to any ideas as to what may be going on as I am rather puzzled by
this.

Thanks for any input,
Len Thomas

Leonard Thomas, Ph.D.
Biomolecular Structure Core, Director
Oklahoma COBRE in Structural Biology
Price Family Foundation Institute of Structural Biology
University of Oklahoma
101 Stephenson Parkway
Norman, OK 73019-5251
Office: (405)325-1126