Do you mean the sulfur atom density is larger, or do you mean there is a
density peak adjacent to the sulfur atom? It is possible for cysteine (CYS)
residues to be oxidized to S-hydroxycysteine (CSO) under certain storage or
crystallization conditions. Ran into this in a cysteine hydrolase structure.

Roger Rowlett
Gordon & Dorothy Kljne Professor, Emeritus
Department of Chemistry
Colgate University