Thank you Ian for your quick response!

I suppose what I'm really trying to do is put a p-value on the "geometry" of a given PDB file.  As in: what are the odds the deviations from ideality of this model are due to chance?

I am leaning toward the need to take all the deviations in the structure together as a set, but, as Joao just noted, that it just "feels wrong" to tolerate a 3-sigma deviate.  Even more wrong to tolerate 4 sigma, 5 sigma. And 6 sigma deviates are really difficult to swallow unless your have trillions of data points.

To put it down in equations, is the p-value of a structure with 1000 bonds in it with one 3-sigma deviate given by:

a)  p = 1-erf(3/sqrt(2))
or
b)  p = 1-erf(3/sqrt(2))**1000
or