HI Pavel and all,

I’m not sure if this is what you were thinking of, but we published in 2016 a
rather dramatic example showing how a series of reliably determined extreme
phi,psi outliers document how the strain-energy associated with adopting the
phi,psi angles is distributed between an extreme close approach of atoms and a
coordinated set of bond angle changes involving their increasing distortion
from their “standard” values in ways that make sense. The paper is
here<https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.1501188>.

While that is a particularly extreme example, it is actually just one example
of the systematic variations in observed bond angles from their classical
standard “ideal” values that are occurring throughout phi,psi space. Building
on earlier work, our main paper documenting the conformation dependence of
“ideal” geometry using a fairly large set of ultra-high resolution structures
is here<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0969212609003359>.
Figure 6 in that paper provides some specific examples of how the bond angle
variations seen near the edges of “classically allowed” regions make sense in
terms of the bond angles incurring strain energy as part of relieving what
would have been a much worse collisional strain energy.

In documenting those trends, we sought to shift our community away from
thinking that there is a single set of ideal geometry values and instead
recognize that the expected (or “ideal”) geometry values are strongly
conformation dependent. While many users may not be aware of it, a restraint
library based on that concept is now the default library in Phenix (see
here<https://febs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/febs.12860>). We’ve
similarly shown (also building on earlier work) that reliable outliers also
exist with regard to peptide bond planarity (as measured by the omega torsion
angle), and that the expected omega torsion angle also has
conformation-dependent trends such that the its expected value deviates by up
to 7 or 8 degrees from planarity even in phi,psi regions that are reasonably
well populated (see here<https://www.pnas.org/doi/pdf/10.1073/pnas.1107115108>).

Ultra-high resolution protein structures can achieve a level of precision and
accuracy that is tremendously valuable for revealing deviations from standard
geometry that are quite real and helpful for our understanding of fundamental
principles.

HTH, Andy
[Black Lives Matter]

Dr. P. Andrew Karplus (he, him, his)
Distinguished Professor of Biochemistry and Biophysics
NIGMS GCE4All Research Center<http://gce4all.oregonstate.edu/> Director of
Communications
2133 ALS Building
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97331
ph. 541-737-3200
andy.karp...@oregonstate.edu<mailto:andy.karp...@oregonstate.edu>

“Revealing how life works for the benefit of all!”
http://biochem.oregonstate.edu/
https://www.facebook.com/OSUBB