>From: Matthias Schniedermeyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>> Regarding UDF, there is a free UDF structure checker from Philips.
>> Mkisofs has been run against this test and passed. If you find problems
>> with UDF structures on a media it may make sense to use the Philips checking
>> program, it comes with source and should compile on Solaris and Linux.

>Is it possibel to make files bigger than 2GB with UDF?

In theory yes, but then you cannot write a ISO-9660 bridge format or must
exclude this file from ISO-9660/RR/Joliet name space.

>(mkisofs from cdrtools 1.11a14)
>("testfile" is 2,7 GB)

># mkisofs -udf -o image1.raw a
>mkisofs: Value too large for defined data type. File a/testfile is too large -
>ignoring
>Total translation table size: 0
>Total rockridge attributes bytes: 0
>Total directory bytes: 0
>Path table size(bytes): 10
>Max brk space used 5064
>288 extents written (0 Mb)

MKisofs is a traditional ISO-9660 program. UDF currently is an add on.
It is mainly needed to be able to write VIDEO DVDs. As these DVDs do not need
files > 1 GB, 2 GB is reasonable for some time.

Please note:

I am author resp. maintainer of various open source programs.
These programs have several million users worldwide. I am getting more
than 200 e-mails each day. If I would answer all of them as I did before,
I would not be able to do real work on these programs any more.

If you write me, please take care and write in a way that enables me to
apprehend your mail in less than 30 seconds. Please do not expect to get
an answer that needs more then 30 seconds to be written. Please write your
mail in ISO-8859-1 or 7-Bit ASCII coding. Do not send Quoted-Printable and
please do not send attachments if you have not been requested to do so.

I currently spend more then 4 hour each day for reading and answering mail.
If I cannot find a way to deal with my mail more efficitently and if I don't get
more help from other people, I am unable to do further development.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]               (uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]           (work) chars I am J"org Schilling