On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Alan Cox wrote:

> > The ISO standard seems to be only avaliable if bought, but I guess
> > ECMA doc is better than nothing (and maybe it is the same doc with
> > different cover). ISO docs in Linux kernel should include both links,
> > IMO.
>
> Do you want to implement the standard or do you want your CD-ROM stuff
> to work 8( The cruft stuff is there for a reason, its a heuristic so
> occasionally it needs refining. Thankfully too iso9660 fs's are generally
> ok nowdays, instead they've invented UDF to find new ways to totally hose
> disks

I write gzipped tar file to CDs, Alan, there are lots of things you can
do with them if you think of them as 700MB "cheap tapes" instead of
mountable filesystem ;-)

Wonder how they would do for skeet?

If you try thins at home:
1 - use the -pad option
2 - you need to be slightly clever when unpacking
      zcat </dev/cdrom | tar xvf -
    since gzip doesn't like the CD device (gzip -dc /dev/cdrom)

--
bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> CTO, TMR Associates, Inc
  Programming without software engineering is like sculpting with a chain