On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 09:49:53AM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Is it possible to write a e2fs directory structure to CD?
> Say I want to backup /www  on my linux e2fs system.
> Then later on, just mount the cd as you would any other e2fs partition.
> I use cdrecord, slack linux 8, 2.2 kernel I believe.
>
> I've looked thru the FAQs.
>
> Any help appreciated.

Well linux seems willing to mount any filesystem it supports from any
device it supports.  That doesn't mean ext2 is an efficient filesystem
to read from a cd, and of course it will still be mounted read only
(which you would want for your backup anyhow).  No real reason it
shouldn't be possible, but only linux will read the cd of course.

If the partition is less than 650MB, you could do it by unmounting the
filesystem and writing the data from the partition using something like

dd if=/dev/hda5 bs=100k | cdrecord -dev x,x,x -speed x fs=8m -

Might work.  Not sure if it is a good setup or not.  It might be, or
just use tar which will let you compress it too.  Might be easier.

Len Sorensen