Gary, thanks for the reply and info.

Gary Richardson wrote:
I think the last time I did it, I got the tarball. I either did an rpmbuild -ta on it, or there was an rpm target in the makefile.

I didn't think of the rpmbuild was. I'll suggest that to him. I do rkhunter that way now and it works like a charm. Not sure what you mean by an rpm target in the makefile, though.

Regardless, I ended up with two RPM's -- a kernel module and the tools. On any systems that had different kernels, I had to recompile to get the kernel module.
Can you elaborate a little on the last sentence above, please? Again, not sure if you are saying to do something after the rpmbuild or that you just used the resultant rpms.